Friday, November 22, 2013

The Gift

I couldn't stop laughing at work today.  I was trying to explain to a co-worker about a Christmas gift that I once gave my mother.

It was a long time ago.  It was that groovy time in my life when I wore bell-bottom, corduroy pants and combed my long, feathered hair over my ears.  I also remember I wore a large belt buckle during that disturbing time.  It had my name in bold, capital letters, “KEVIN’ conspicuously spelled out for all to see.  It was the mid 70’s and I was maybe 10 years old.

One day during the run up to Christmas, I removed my entire net worth, my lifelong savings from a super-secret, wooden box hidden in my bedroom.  I took the loot to the jewelry store to purchase a custom necklace for my mom.  After they gift wrapped it for me, I went directly home to place it under the Christmas tree.  I just knew she’d love it!

On Christmas morning, it was my mom’s turn to open her gift.  I was so excited to see her open it.  Finally, the custom necklace was in her hands and I saw the smile of appreciation on her face.  I knew it …she loved it.  It was a stunning gold necklace that had an incredibly cool golden name plate at the base with her name, “LINDA” conspicuously spelled out for all to see.  I was so proud of the gift and my mother was gracious in receiving it.

So at work today, I was laughing uncontrollably, to tears, when I thought about this gift and tried to explain it to a co-worker.  It was a short necklace with her name on it that more resembled a dog collar then the classy necklace I intended.  Now just stop for a minute and try to visualize someone wearing a necklace like that in public.

Look, in my defense, that little 10 year old just knew that he loved his mom and wanted to get her a gift that she’d always remember.  And it worked.  It was quite memorable.

But having my mom receive my gift with her gratitude, love, and her warm smile … that was a gift of grace that she gave me in return.

And that too is something I will always remember.




No comments:

Post a Comment