Sunday, December 20, 2015

Let's go! Are you with me?

I learned a few things from my recent ocean cliff diving experience in Hawaii.  It’s true … having a near death experience can be quite thought provoking.  Of course, the thinking and pondering doesn’t happen during the free fall … that’s because my manly screams are way too loud and I need to focus on the terror of the moment.

Now, I’m sure cliff diving conjures up the image of a tan, chiseled island dude knifing a swan dive after a few midair flips.  But using cliff diving and Kevin Monroe in the same sentence … well, uh, that’s not exactly the image that comes to mind.  Probably because I jumped instead of dove.  Although describing myself as a chiseled, tan guy is pretty much accurate … well, except for the chiseled and tan part.  OK, OK, we’ll move on.  You get the idea.

I remember that beautiful day.  There was a clear, blue sky above … and a clear, blue ocean below.  It was a comfortable 80 degrees outside, which made for a noticeable contrast from the typical rainy, cloudy Northwest weather that I’ve come to expect from back home.

But let’s first rewind the clock a bit.  Before my cliff diving and before my exhausting swim out to the cliffs to do my cliff diving, I was simply minding my own business.  My slightly overweight, pale-white body was carefree and motionless on my beach towel.  It brought me great joy knowing my fleshy mass would leave an impressive sand-angel crater for all to appreciate when I arose later that day ... getting people in the Christmas spirit for sure.  Yes friends, I found myself content in my beached-whale-like state.  I was the consummate magazine cover-shot for Tourist Illustrated.

And I was at peace.

That is, until my sister-in-law kicked me in the ribs to tell me I was going to jump off the rocky cliff bank into the ocean with her.  On purpose.  Could she not see that I was busy?  By her fifth kick to my already tenderized ribs, I reluctantly decided I would make the death-defying jump into the abyss with her.  That seemed to be the only way I could make the kicking stop without going to prison.  (I know.  I thought of that too.  I’m by the ocean and if they never find her body … oh, never mind.)

Next thing I recall, I’m swimming … and swimming … and swimming out to the cliffs.  The voice of my sister-in-law continued to offer encouragement and my inside voice kept trying to convince me that I’m still an athlete.  Finally reaching the base of the cliff, we stared up at the tiny, human specs that were jumping into the ocean below.  The view looked much more intimidating than from the comfort of my beach towel.

Somehow, we were able to press on toward the goal.  I was still tired from my Iron-Man type swim, yet I endured exhaustion, pain, and an epic rock climb to reach my destiny (see visual aid above).

When I reached the top, my heart was pounding (most likely from exhaustion and not fear).  Of course, being a true gentleman, I allowed my sister-in-law to jump first … and in an instant, she was gone.  I saw her body become smaller and smaller as she drifted away from me in rapid free-fall toward the Earth … and then, SPLASH! 

Although I now stood atop the mountain without my sister-in-law, I was not alone.  Joe surfer dude was there with his calm, assuring voice.  He smiled and offered the wisdom of NIKE by saying, “Just do it, bro.” 

Well, I did it.  I jumped.  I was a hurling mass.  Nay, a rocketing sphere headed toward an impressive and crowd cheering splash-down.  (Inserting any Tsunami jokes here would be inappropriate).  Spoiler alert!  I lived to tell the story AND I had a renewed courage.  It also occurred to me that I can achieve goals that may seem impossible … that may be out of my comfort zone … and I can do it with the help, encouragement, and leadership of others.

STOP!  Consider this as a leader:

·     Are you a leader that encourages others?  Do you influence others toward personal growth and success … are you challenging your team to stretch, learn, excel, achieve … and do you celebrate with them in their victories?  Do you coach, teach, and train others?  Do you cast a vision of the goal and express what success looks like?  Do you empower your team to get that success?

·     Do you motivate your team to get off the comfort of their beach towels to accomplish great, challenging, and rewarding tasks … and are you willing to lead them by example … will you jump off the cliff with your team when it’s necessary to achieve the goal?

·     What kind of leader do you want to be?  Challenge yourself to be a student of leadership … and grow in those traits that are most effective.  Seek to put leadership tools in your leadership tool belt.

Consider the contrast below and strive to be the leader your team will follow.


Let's go! 
                                                                                
Oh, and later that day, I eat a double cheeseburger with a fresh, Hawaiian pineapple slice stuffed in there … but that was a familiar task … and offered no challenge.


No comments:

Post a Comment