Sunday, April 28, 2013

Eyebrow Hair Happens


I had to remind Carrie of the contract she entered into almost 27 years ago.  Come on, you know the contract.  It was the one with the sickness, health, richer, or poorer stuff in it … yeah, that one.  I’m so glad I had the foresight, in the summer of 1986, to include language requiring her to accept me even though I may one day have a hideously long, slightly grey eyebrow hair that protrudes vigorously and obscenely from my balding forehead.  Have a mental picture yet?  Well, that rogue eyebrow hair language was clearly woven into our deal ... our contract.  It was right there with the ‘til death do us part clause, yet somehow, my wife Carrie, forgot.  I know, I know … yes, it’s a huge oops on her part.  It’s gotta be quite embarrassing for her that she would forget that phrase... I mean, it was a part of our wedding day vows and all.

This morning, however, I willingly chose to rise above the controversy and not dwell on it ... at least very much.  I relinquished my rights, per the 1986 contract, and went ahead and clipped my lone, grotesque eyebrow hair.  And I was even able to forgive Carrie for her curious lapse in memory … yes, quite curious indeed.

I know talking about eyebrow hair is a strange topic for some … well, I guess the topic is strange for all now that I think about it.  But what I am about to share with you is even more strange.  It does not make sense.  Now please pay attention here … I’ve found that somehow, through all these years, Carrie still chooses to be there for me, supporting me, and loving me ... with or without my unsightly eyebrow hair.  Yes, it is strange, but true.  I’ve seen it.  I’ve lived it.  And I honor it and I cherish it.  I am grateful for her love that doesn’t always make sense.

Each day we can choose to cherish life’s small and seemingly insignificant events, like my unexpected eyebrow hair growth.  Whoa, that’s right … I just said you can cherish eyebrow hair growth.  We can choose to love one another regardless of eyebrow hair length, the way we squeeze the toothpaste, the way we forget to take out the garbage, make the bed, or feed the animals.  You get it, right?  It’s all a part of your lifelong journey together.  Embrace it, live it, talk about it, find ways to improve it, and find a way to laugh about it … together.  You can do this.

 May your fairy-tale marriage experience be a happily-ever-after life … just like ours … with or without the unsightly eyebrow hair.

Enjoy life's journey.  And journey together... it's more fun that way.


No comments:

Post a Comment